If we have good access to your venue (EG: no lifts or stairs, no more than 100ft to wheel their equipment) we should be able to load in, set up and sound check within 60 minutes.
Setup and sound check involves the following important steps:
- Unloading all the band’s equipment from their van and wheeling it into the venue
- Unpacking the equipment from flight cases and putting it in the correct part of the room, arranged as the band need it to be positioned in order for them to be able to perform.
- Connecting up the power and all the cables and checking everything is working
- Sound checking – balancing the volume and equalisation of each instrument in the bands PA system so that:
- everything sounds good in your room (every room sounds different and some instruments require careful attention so that the sound isn’t too boomy)
- each instrument is balanced against the other instruments so that you hear the songs clearly
- the band can hear each other clearly
- the overall volume level is set as you / the venue requires.
- Packing away empty cases, moving the van to a permanent parking spot, and getting changed into stage clothes for their performance.
If your event is running late and you’ve arranged for the band to set up after speeches, we will still need the same amount of time to set up. This allocated set up and sound check time is vital for the band to properly connect their equipment and get a good sound in advance of their performance. Please be respectful of the fact that the band can’t physically complete the steps listed above any faster than the time they’ve already indicated when you booked them, and any attempt to make them feel pressured to hurry is only going to stress them out and put them on edge before they entertain your guests!
Please also be mindful of the fact that sound check is inherently loud and cannot happen at the same time as speeches or dinner unless you’ve got the band performing in a different part of your venue.
For weddings, we usually advise that set-up and sound-check happens in the gap after the wedding breakfast, whilst your venue turns the room around for the evening party. For this reason, you might want to speak with your venue to find out if there’s another space where your guests can go after dinner away from the band setting up. It’s not a problem if this isn’t possible, but bear in mind the louder ‘sound check’ part can take up to 20 minutes. Often guest sing along!!
Alternatively, bands can arrive earlier in the day to be set up and sound checked before your wedding breakfast, but there will be an additional cost to cover the extra time on site.
As an approximate guide to the amount of space required by rock and pop function bands:
3-piece band: 3 x 3 meters
4-piece band: 4 meters wide by 3 meters deep
5-piece band: 5 meters wide by 3 meters deep